Online Accessibility: Are You Open for Business? – A Tech With Heart Interview with Daniel Hodges
What business owners don’t know CAN hurt them, and Tech With Heart does not want to see that happen.
Business owners must comply with certain laws to protect them, their employees, their customers, and their potential customers.
Accessibility is required by law for all businesses, no matter the size.
Most business owners think of accessibility as it relates to a physical storefront location with handicapped parking, and ramp access, but accessibility goes much further than that in an online world.
Unfortunately, when most businesses had their online website/storefront created, online accessibility wasn’t in the design plan. This is still shockingly true with modern-day website development.
Michelle Calloway recently interviewed accessibility advocate, Daniel Hodges, who is legally blind, about the issues that face disabled consumers when trying to do business online.
What a business owner will learn from this interview:
- Online accessibility is not a marketing problem; it is required by law. Take it seriously.
- The business owner is responsible for providing online accessibility, not the web designer.
- Technology has made major advancements to address online accessibility, but it still needs a business owner’s involvement.
- How artificial intelligence can resolve some of the issues and make it appear as though the business owner is trying to comply with ADA regulations.
Daniel shares that most disabled consumers would prefer to never bring up the idea of a lawsuit in order to gain access to online content they have a legal right to access. They simply want to be considered and included.
Business owners need to treat this issue as seriously as their business license, because ignorance will not protect them from a hefty lawsuit. Online consumers and business owners are all in this together.
What can a business owner do to begin the process of becoming compliant online?
Start by applying an ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act) accessible widget on your website.
Go to ADADefender.us and apply for the widget.
- The free version will bring a website up to 50% compliance
- The paid version will bring a website up to 95% compliance
Please reach out to Tech With Heart to discuss various ADA compliant options at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Guest Daniel Hodges
Daniel Hodges, JD, is an activist dedicated to assisting others with disabilities and chronic illnesses reach their full potential. While in law school, Daniel founded Peaces of Me Foundation; a nonprofit that promotes universal access and inclusion.
Daniel’s perspective has been shaped by his experience as a blind man with chronic pain and other conditions. He has spent a lifetime surpassing the low expectations placed before him, and his personal calling is to help others do the same.
About Tech With Heart Network
Tech With Heart is a nonprofit with a passion to ENLIGHTEN and EMPOWER business owners to EMBRACE technology and business strategies that will keep them competitive and relevant for long term success, in a rapidly changing digital world.
The entrepreneurial support program, Tech With Heart Network, is unlike other business networks because they are a nonprofit focused on serving and supporting, not gaining financial wealth.
- Members are heart-centered AND forward-thinking
- They teach emerging technologies and growth strategies
- All questions are good questions. They provide timely answers too!
- All ages and knowledge levels are welcome to participate
- Members build and nurture long-term business relationships as they grow alongside one another
- Warm, professional, and vetted business referral network
Visibility and promotional opportunities for experts and influencers as they enlighten and empower the entrepreneurial audience
Would You Like To Be Interviewed On The Tech With Heart Network Or TV Show?
We are always on the lookout for innovative, heart-centered business experts to be interviewed on the Tech With Heart stage. You need to own your own business, and your business model, service, or product needs to add value to help others grow their businesses as well
If this opportunity seems like a good fit for you, please click here to be considered.